Who we are
Established by Generation Investment Management, Just Climate is a mission-driven investment business targeting attractive risk-adjusted returns by backing the highest impact climate solutions.1
To achieve a sustainable and equitable future, we must get on track for net zero by 2050. This means radically reducing all emissions by 2030, while conserving, restoring or better managing ecosystems to reduce and remove CO2 from the atmosphere.
We start with climate impact, identifying solutions that can make the biggest difference. We then direct and scale institutional capital to those solutions that can generate attractive risk-adjusted returns.1 We call this style of investing ‘climate-led.’
Our mission is to make climate-led investing a capital allocation imperative.
An uncompromising challenge
Our mission is to work in partnership to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C by:
- Catalysing and scaling capital towards transformational solutions with the highest climate impact and attractive risk-adjusted returns1
- Establishing climate-led investing as a capital allocation imperative
Clara Barby CBE, Senior Partner: “Capital markets must seize the opportunity to finance transformational solutions that enable a just transition to net zero. Our collective future depends on it.”
We have brought together a mix of skills to find and support business models that can transform the hard-to-abate industries. Our investment team combines skills in growth equity, project finance, engineering, nature and impact management — so we can find and support transformational solutions.
Inclusion & diversity
Respect & dignity
Commitment to continuous learning
Just Climate is a business founded by Generation Investment Management. We benefit from Generation’s mission-driven people, long-term commitment to and expertise in sustainable investing, research, investment process, and advocacy and convening power.
- Commitment & expertise: Since its founding in 2004, Generation has played an integral role in the development of sustainable investing.
- Research: We collaborate on research and convening that can potentially multiply impact for our portfolios.
- Investment process: We build on Generation’s investment process and philosophy of fully integrating sustainability research within a rigorous framework of traditional financial analysis.
- Just Climate seeks to deliver attractive risk-adjusted financial returns, but there can be no guarantee this goal will be achieved.
- Source: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Sixth Assessment Report, Working Group III. This is the reduction required in order to limit global warming to 1.5°C pathways with no or limited overshoot.
- Source: Just Climate analysis, based on Climate Policy Initiative Global Landscape of Climate Finance 2021.
- Source: https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/2/2019/02/SR15_Chapter4_Low_Res.pdf